lunedì 30 aprile 2012

Farewell Italy, farewell friends!

And soon, after the last exams and the last bureaucracy messes, after one week of farewell parties it was time to leave, to say goodbye to everything/everyone and let them in Italy.
If you're imagining one of those sad and dramatic moments with crying desperate people behaving as they were leaving to join the army in the second World War, you're doing it wrong.
Did I really feel it a farewell moment? Not completely, I have to say. Or better, it depends on points of view. It has been a detachment from my roots and from almost all the material stuff I had home, but I see this mostly as a rebirth, a big change and the beginning of a new life, really far from all those negative connotation typical of when you abandon your previous life(style).

I had never been so enthusiastic in my life, one of my dreams was going to become truth. I had, and I still have, a lot of expectation by making new experiences. I had therefore even more of them. In primis, I wanted to have autonomy and independence from my mother and my father (this doesn't mean that I don't want to see them anymore, they are and they remain my parents). I had the need to take my own way and starting to plan my life by myself. Then, I needed a radical change, a new place to live. I wanted something really different from my country. I needed to live in a place among nature, mountains and cold weather. My dream was lo live in a cabin up to the mountains, but I knew I was going to live in a student house (bytheway, it's surrounded by mountains and it's perfect to socialize with other students). Moreover, I expected to be considered a smart person, as every student should be (not considered just a cost for the society, like in Italy). I expected to learn a new language and improve my other languages' skills. I expected to get in touch with a completely new society, with other uses and habits. I wanted to try to be a stranger and compare myself with other students and guys of my same age.

In a certain sense and in some ways, I can say I was on the same wave-lenght of a futurist: I wanted to get rid of the past, maybe destroy it and forget it for a while, I had found a lot of incentives (even just a simple new e-mail from the university of Bergen)  and motivations leading me to the way of dynamic and fast changes and, as a matter of fact, the first period of this new experience served to disintoxicate me from all my past life.

I have to consider this farewell sure enough as the down of a new age of my life. But there is something to which I didn't say goodbye. I hadn't left home my character and my personality and I hadn't said "see you again" to all of my books. Before or later I'll bring them back with me.
And finally, here I've found all I had expected before, and if not I've found something better. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento